Each year, Tyson Foods’ Environmental, Health and Safety Services, recognizes the outstanding environmental efforts of contract poultry farmers. The most recent winners of Tyson’s Poultry Environmental Stewardship Award include:
- Joseph and Helen Sander, a producer for the Dexter, Missouri, Complex
- Keith Haslag a producer for the Sedalia, Missouri, Complex
- Troy Alderfer, a producer New Holland, Pennsylvania, Complex
The winners are selected by a national committee and are judged on the following factors:
- General nature, history and production information of their farm;
- Nutrient management practices;
- Off-farm agriculture-related activities;
- Farm esthetics and community involvement;
- Environmental or agricultural awards received; and
- Farm innovation and wildlife management practices.
Each winner receives a trophy and a $1,500 cash prize. In addition, each Tyson service technician responsible for servicing these farms receives $250.
Environmental stewardship is the result of hard work, and careful and responsible management aimed at preserving and enhancing the quality of natural resources and the environment.